Homeschooled students have a unique perspective of home and the world. One way they can share their view of their world is to take a picture! Photography has the power to inspire, excite and amaze! With this in mind, we have created an outlet to allow homeschooled students, ages 7-19, to share their unique perspective of their home with our first ever photo contest, Life in Focus.
Our theme is HOME….so pull out a camera or grab a phone for your students and let them document a typical day, the blowing snow, or all your holiday celebrations around your home…or whatever says “home” to them! Contest closes March 1, 2020.
We created this opportunity for your students so they can…
… gain exposure. It allows them the opportunity to have their photos enjoyed by a broader audience, beyond family and friends as the winning photos will be published online and in our magazine.
… explore their talents and gifts. If students have never picked up a camera or phone, this is a chance to give something new a try.
… have fun, even if they are younger. Most photo contests in Canada only allow older students to enter.
… be evaluated by our experienced panel of Judges. Each Judge will offer positive feedback on each student’s entry as a way to encourage your students to keep honing their photo skills.
… add a unique contribution to their growing portfolio. Adding photos (and the judge’s feedback…and possible winning status) will allow your student to stand out when pursuing post secondary opportunities.
… maybe even win a cash prize for a top entry!
Photo Contest Guidelines
Submission Dates: September 1 – March 1, 2020
Welcome to our first annual Life in Focus contest. This year’s theme is HOME. What does HOME mean to you? Show us via original photos…take photos inside or outside, with people or without people…just be creative!
Please follow the ‘rules’ we have set out below with regard to digital manipulation. Our judges want to see your photo skills, not your editing skills! So, be ready to capture your home life at any moment, as often as possible and then send us your favourites!
Category 1: Ages 7-10
Category 2: Ages 11-14
Category 3: Ages 15-19
Photo contest winners and finalists will be displayed at HSLDA’s office in London, Ontario, for one year following the contest. Winning photos will also be published online and in the next issue of our HSLDA magazine.
Each homeschooled student between the ages of 7-19 (including graduating seniors) may enter up to 3 photos:
- Photo submissions must fit the theme of HOME.
- Original photographs only!! No digital manipulation or touchup is allowed, except for cropping and adjustments to contrast, hue, saturation, tone, and sharpness. These techniques must be applied to the image as a whole, not to only certain areas. In other words, we are more interested in the student’s photography skill than in his or her ability to digitally manipulate an image.
- Name your photo creatively so the judges get a sense of what you were trying to capture in your photo.
- All images must be uploaded through our online system. Files must be in jpg, sized 1400 pixels on the longest side. Files must be at least 300 dpi to be suitable for printing.
- All submissions must be suitable for all audiences. HSLDA reserves the right to reject entries that are gratuitously violent, sexually suggestive, vulgar, or otherwise explicitly offensive.
Need some inspiration? Want to learn some new techniques? Take a look at some resources we have gathered!
How to Enter
The easiest way to enter is to fill out the online Entry Form
- You are welcome to send up to 3 photos per student.
- Please add your Age Category number in the file name of your photo.
- DO NOT include your name so we can judge them blindly.
- Be sure to give your photo a creative Title so we can confirm the right photo goes with the right entrant’s information.
Regular Entry Fee: $15.00 (HST included) per photo
HSLDA Member Discounted Entry Fee: $10.00 (HST included) per photo
By submitting a photo you agree:
- to all rules and the decisions of the judges.
- your photographs become the property of HSLDA Canada and the Canadian Centre for Home Education and will not be returned.
- entry into the contest constitutes permission for HSLDA and/or CCHE to use the prints for publication at their discretion, with credit to the photographer
Contact the Contest Coordinator if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Where the Contest Profits Go
All contest profits go to our charitable arm, the Canadian Centre for Home Education, which uses them to inform, influence and inspire homeschoolers across Canada and beyond.
To learn about the mission and funds of the Canadian Centre for Home Education, visit their website at www.cche.ca.
Judging and Other Information
- Photos will be evaluated, blindly, by a panel of judges appointed by HSLDA.
- Judging will be made based on subject, creativity, and composition. For more information, check out Hear It From the Judges.
- All judgments are final and interpretations of the guidelines are at HSLDA’s sole discretion.
- Winners and finalists will be notified by email and announced on HSLDA’s website.
More questions? Read the most Frequently Asked Questions.
Note: Still more questions? Contact the Contest Coordinator at email@example.com
Interested in sponsoring a contest? If you or your company is interested in partnering with us to continue offering this unique opportunity to talented homeschoolers, contact the Contest Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org