• The Advisory Panel on homeschooling met on August 17th – the last meeting before the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year – and English eligibility was on the agenda. If you’re English-speaking, you may be wondering about English eligibility and which board to notify. Here’s what you need to know:
  1. If you do not currently have an English eligibility certificate for your children, do not indicate English eligibility in your notification of homeschooling for the 2018-2019 school year. You must actually have the certificate in order to notify an English school board for the 2018-2019 school year.
  2. Many English-speaking homeschooling families do not yet have eligibility certificates. You can review the requirements and application process here: http://www.education.gouv.qc.ca/en/parents-and-guardians/instruction-in-english/eligibility/. We encourage families who are eligible to apply at some point this school year, but there is no rush!
  3. You can communicate with the Ministry in English whether or not you have a certificate of English eligibility. In addition, if you are notifying manually (rather than using the Ministry’s notification process online), you can use the English notification form posted on the HSLDA member portal, even if you are submitting it to a French-language school board.
  4. If your child has an English eligibility certificate, you can access support services for your child from either your French or English school board. If you do not have the eligibility certificate, you must access support services through the French school board.
  5. For this year, if you do not have the certificate, simply submit your notification without claiming English eligibility. If you apply for and receive your eligibility certificate during the 2018-2019 school year and you would like to be switched to an English school board, you can request to be switched over. However, unless you are receiving services or doing evaluations with your school board and would like them to be in English, there is no urgency in changing over to the English school board.
  • Remember to submit your notification on or before September 1st, 2018. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us for any questions you may have about notifying!
  • HSLDA: the partner in your homeschool success!
Share this post --- Partagez cette publication